Construction Ethics and Compliance
Some of the largest construction firms in the world have faced the prospect of multi-million fines for significant breaches of ethics and compliance recently – from bribery and collusion to modern slavery.
Ethics is defined as a set of moral principles that govern a person’s behaviour or the conducting of an activity, but what does that mean for an individual or an organisation working in construction?
Understand the role of ethics and compliance in the construction industry
This free online course will help you to understand the concept of ethics, why they matter, and why being ethical goes deeper than just being compliant and legal.
By the end of the five-week course, you will be able to:
- explain how ethics and compliance has a tangible impact on your professional role and personal values
- know why construction companies have policies and procedures, and how they relate to legal requirements and society;
- apply your company’s policy (or a sample policy) to a real-life ethical dilemma case study;
- identify conflicts of interest and determine the steps you need to take to minimise their risk;
- and ensure that your decisions are both ethical and compliant.
Learn with construction ethics experts from the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
Construction Ethics and Compliance has been developed by The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) – the world’s largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership.
The course will build on the CIOB’s experience of developing people in the science and practice of building, which it has been doing since 1834, as well as its recent work to create an International Standard for Ethics in the Built Environment.
Are you a member of the CIOB? If you are a member preparing for professional review, the topics covered in this course will help you to recognise the things that you do that contribute to professional practice for Section 3 of your application.
What Will I Learn?
- Define ethics
- Discuss ethical challenges in the construction industry
- Apply methods for decision making when faced with an ethical dilemma
- Develop understanding and awareness of personal values
- Assess company ethics policy, its key parts, and company values
- Explore legal and compliance requirements in construction
- Describe professionalism in construction
- Evaluate ethical barriers and how to overcome them
- Recognising ethical leadership and cultures